Colossians 1:28,29

"Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me. "

Monday, October 10, 2011

GRACE

Two experiences this past week that made think about God's grace...

The first was early last week. I was sitting in my car (very noticeably) in a Starbucks parking lot. This particular parking lot, if you're familiar with Boulder, CO, has fairly small parking spaces (maybe a ploy on the city's part to make more people drive environmentally friendly cars...or bikes). But due to the size of the spots I always make it a point to park well within the lines, with an even amount of space on either side so as to be courteous to others (it's not uncommon for cars in Boulder to be parked half way over the line!). This time I was well within my lines. As I sat there, finishing a ministry related text with one of my volunteer leaders, a car pulled in next to me. The driver got out, as did her passenger...who hit my Jeep with his door...to which he said "oops" and walked away....as I was sitting in my car. Really?

The second experience was a couple of days ago. I walked out to my car, with nothing out of the normal. It was a nice day, not too warm and not too cold (I prefer colder weather). I walked down the stairs of my condo and around my car to get something out of the back seat. I opened the door, grabbed the stuff, shut the door, and began to walk away...until I remembered seeing something that was out of place. "Nah, can't be I thought" but I walked back just to check, and sure enough, there was a giant groove in the side of my Jeep. Not like the door had been bashed in, but it was very noticeable. I inspected it and found a gray paint in the groove from the car door that had hit mine. Immediately I looked to see if anyone had left me a note on my car...nothing. Really?

I'm not going to lie...the first minute, sometimes five minutes, after an event like either of the two above can leave me feeling a bit angry (I don't like admitting that I'm not perfect, but pastors have very serious flaws too!). I later told my wife when she came home. I said, "they should have at least left a note!" To which she replied "if you knew who did it, what would you do?" Crap. Kicks to the head hurt...even worse is a kick to the heart. What would I say? As if she hadn't convicted me enough she then said, "what if it was a kid? I see kids toys in that car..." Suck. Can't argue with that (I've been married for what...two weeks now...and I'm already being refined! God bless that woman). I can't yell at a kid...and ultimately I can't yell at a parent either. Why? Because they deserve God's grace just as much as I do.

Read Ephesians 4:29-32. Let the words wash over your heart.

I was reading this morning from one of my favorite authors: Jerry Bridges. Jerry has written I don't know how many books on the topic of grace, and each has been phenomenal, filled with nuggets of very simple but necessary reminders about the truth of grace. It's easy for some to think (perhaps from the evil one's influence, or just naiveté) that the older, wiser, mature Christians have in a sense mastered, maybe if even theologically if not practically, the concept of grace. But that's so untrue. Bridges explains that this is one of the main topics that his mind always comes back to...for the past ten years! For ten years he's been thinking, writing, rethinking, rewriting, about the topic of grace. He explains that often he feels like this topic is like dipping paper towels into the entire ocean to soak it up. It's so deep. John 1:16 says that "from his (Christ's) fullness we have received, grace upon grace." It's immeasurable.

No one likes hearing their father/mother say "sweetie, I lost my job today" or "we've gone bankrupt." Why? Because both demonstrate a serious need for help! When we're bankrupt we have no way of feeding ourselves, paying the heat for the house, let alone the mortgage payment (like a rent payment except for owners). But morally speaking we are all bankrupt. There is so much sickness, gross acts, painful memories that separate us from God's holiness (his perfection). We have no way of saving ourselves. We are spiritually bankrupt. We need help!

That's what grace is...help. It's God's way of giving us the help we need.

Read Romans 3:10-12

What experience can you share that demonstrates the feeling of your "spiritual bankruptcy"?

Do you think it is important to focus on our relationship APART from Christ to understand our need for grace? Why?

Read Romans 5:6-9; 12-21

Do you think that grace is something that you only experience once?

What do you think Paul meant in verses 20-21 when he says "so that grace might reign"?

When you're at school, do you feel guilty? Ashamed? How does that compare to the GRACE that we should feel?

How do you think God wants you to experience grace?

Prayer: Pray with a thankfulness that God has provided you with the free gift of grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment